By Blake Klein • Difficulty: Moderate
Follow this guide to replace the battery in a Nintendo Switch gaming console.
The battery is heavily glued in and will require adhesive remover to make replacement possible.
Before disassembling your device, discharge the battery below 25%. The battery can catch fire and/or explode if accidentally punctured, but the chances of that happening are much lower if discharged.
If your battery is swollen, do not heat your Switch. Use a dropper, or syringe, to inject isopropyl alcohol (90+%) underneath the battery to weaken the adhesive. Swollen batteries can be dangerous, so wear eye protection and exercise due caution if attempting removal yourself. Take it to a professional if you’re not sure how to proceed.
- Remove the four 6.3mm Tri-point Y00 screws from the rear panel.
- Remove the single 6.1mm JIS #000 screw from underneath the kickstand.
- Remove the two 2.7mm JIS #000 screws from the bottom of the device.
- Remove the single 2.7mm JIS #000 screw from the top of the device.
- Remove the single 3.8mm JIS #0 screw from the right Joy-Con rail.
- Remove the single 3.8mm JIS #0 screw from the left Joy-Con rail.
- Pull the rear panel up and off of the device.
- Remove the single 3.1mm JIS #000 screw from micro SD card board.
- Lift the micro SD card board up and pull towards you to disconnect it from the motherboard.
- Remove the six 3.1mm JIS #000 screws from the shield plate.
- Remove the shield plate from the device.
- Insert the pointed end of a spudger underneath the white connector and pry upwards to disconnect the battery from the motherboard.
- Wear eye protection when handling and applying the adhesive remover. (Eye protection is included in your kit.)
- Do not wear contact lenses without eye protection.
- Protective gloves are also included in your kit. If you are concerned about possible skin irritation, put your gloves on now.
- Apply a small amount of adhesive remover (approximately 1 ml) evenly along the elevated edge of the battery cell.
- Wait 2-3 minutes for the liquid adhesive remover to penetrate underneath the battery cell before you proceed to the next step.
- Insert the flat end of a spudger underneath the battery and carefully pry upwards to separate it from the mid-frame.
- Remove the battery from the device.
To reassemble your device, follow these instructions in reverse order.