By Robert Harvey • Difficulty: Moderate
This step-by-step procedure will allow the reader to get to and replace the optical drive responsible for reading the disc. Be aware that any replacement or teardown beyond the hard drive voids the Sony warranty.
- Flip the PS4 over on its top.
- Remove the four stickers on the back of the PS4.
- Remove the three 9mm TR8 Torx Security screws on the back of the system.
- Remove the bottom panel by lifting the front piece up and sliding the panel towards the back.
- Remove the three 9mm TR9 Torx screws.
- Remove the two 4cm Phillips head #1 screws.
- Lift straight up on the power supply.
- Remove the 5 wire plug that is attached from the power supply to the motherboard.
- You can now fully remove the power supply from the system.
- Disconnect the ribbon wire from the optical drive by pressing down on the metal release tab and gently pulling the ribbon wire. This should not require force.
- Disconnect the same ribbon wire from the motherboard; making sure you're pressing down on the metal release tab and gently pulling the ribbon wire.
- Remove the wifi antenna cable attached to the motherboard.
- Remove the optical drive four wire plug from the motherboard by pulling straight out.
- Remove the four 9mm Torx T9 screw attached to the wifi antenna and optical drive.
- Remove the 5mm Phillips head #1 screw.
- Lift up and remove the wifi antenna.
- The optical drive can now be lifted straight up and removed from the system.
To reassemble your device, follow these instructions in reverse order.