By Evan Noronha • Difficulty: Moderate
Use this guide to bring life back to your iPhone 6s Plus with a new battery. For optimal performance, calibrate your newly installed battery: Drain it below 10%, then charge it uninterrupted to 100%.
This guide instructs you to detach the front panel assembly; this is intended to prevent damage to the display cables. If you feel comfortable supporting the display carefully while peeling the battery out of the iPhone, you can skip the display removal and go directly to the battery removal steps.
You can also use this guide to replace the battery connector bracket.
- Power off your iPhone before beginning disassembly.
- Remove the two 3.4 mm Pentalobe screws on either side of the Lightning port.
- Apply a suction cup to the lower left corner of the display assembly.
- Pull up on the suction cup with firm, constant pressure to create a slight gap between the front panel and rear case.
- The safest place to pry from is the notch in the front panel above the headphone jack.
- While still maintaining pressure on the suction cup, insert the flat tip of a spudger into the gap, directly above the headphone jack.
- Twist the spudger to widen the gap between the front panel and the rear case.
- While firmly pulling up on the suction cup, slide the edge of the spudger under the bottom left corner of the display.
- Slide the tip of the spudger up the left side of the phone, between the front panel and the rear case.
- Insert the flat tip of the spudger under the right edge of the display.
- Slide the spudger up the right side.
- Use a plastic opening tool to hold down the rear case while pulling up the suction cup to open the phone.
- Pull up on the small nub on the suction cup to remove it from the display.
- Gently grasp the display assembly and lift it up to open the phone, using the clips at the top of the front panel as a hinge.
- Open the display to about a 90º angle, and lean it against something to keep it propped up while you're working on the phone.
- Add a rubber band to keep the display securely in place while you work. This prevents undue strain on the display cables.
- Remove the following Phillips screws securing the battery connector bracket to the logic board:
- One 2.9 mm screw
- One 2.3 mm screw
- Remove the battery connector bracket.
- Use the pointed tip of the spudger to disconnect the battery connector from the logic board.
- Bend the connector back to ensure it doesn't make contact and power the iPhone on while you're working on it.
- Remove the following Phillips screws:
- Three 1.3 mm screws
- One 1.6 mm screw
- One 3.0 mm screw
- Remove the display cable bracket.
- Use a plastic opening tool to disconnect the front-facing camera and sensor cable connector.
- Use a plastic opening tool to disconnect the digitizer cable by prying it straight up from its socket on the logic board.
- Use a plastic opening tool to disconnect the display data cable by prying it straight up from its socket on the logic board.
- Remove the display assembly.
- Peel back the tips of the three battery adhesive strips along the bottom edge of the battery.
- Gather the ends of all three adhesive strips in your hand.
- Gently pull the battery adhesive tabs away from the battery, toward the bottom of the iPhone.
- Pull steadily, maintaining constant tension on the strips as they slip out from between the battery and the rear case. For best results, pull the strips at a 60º angle or less.
- Prepare an iOpener and apply it to the back of the rear case, directly over the battery. Alternatively, you can apply heat using a heat gun or hair dryer.
- After about a minute, flip the phone over and use a plastic card to break up any remaining adhesive behind the battery.
- Thread the floss or string behind the upper battery corners, bring the ends together, wrap them around a folded cloth, and pull evenly.
- Remove the battery.
To reassemble your device, follow these instructions in reverse order. For optimal performance, calibrate your newly installed battery: Drain battery below 10%, then charge uninterrupted to 100%.